Foundations of HC
All are invited to begin their learning journey with Heartful Communication (HC) in this weekend training. This is a practical and experimental workshop. Participants will learn the core concepts, principles and skills of HC/NVC, and how to apply them to their own life situations.
- Know the one thing that is necessary for solving all problems, personal and interpersonal, and why that one thing is so effective.
- Identify the kinds of speech that support communication, and the kinds of speech that inhibit it.
- Know how to ask for what you want, in a way that takes others into consideration, while still effective in getting needs met.
- Know how to listen empathically when someone shares something personal.
- Use HC/NVC effectively even if you don’t have the skills down pat.
Come prepared for an analog training (pen & paper!) with lots of interpersonal interaction. The training is process oriented, and much of the learning happens by trying out the new ways of talking and listening.
Foundations of HC is a prerequisite for the yearlong Deepening Program/Facilitator Training Track.
HC PILOT PROGRAM: Fall 2019 – end 2020
The North America Pilot Program consists of 5 weekend workshops over 1 year – Foundations of HC + Deepening Yearlong Program – designed to increasingly extend learning of the NVC/HC process and how to apply it in daily life. Between training events, participants will be invited to practice and integrate their skills. Workshops are typically 2 full days of training, most often on weekends, facilitated by members of HC steering team, together with advanced students of HC.
Deepening Yearlong Program
Those who are ready and able to take on learning and integrating HC into their lives and ways of being, are encouraged to join the Deepening Yearlong program. A subset of participants, who are able to commit to more intense study and to future volunteering, will be trained to also facilitate future HC programs.
Topics of the yearlong program include:
• Deep listening
• Developing empathy for self and others
• Transforming blame and judgement
• Managing reactivity
• Heart-centred giving and receiving feedback
• Authentic self-expression with care
• Making effective requests
• Softening anger
While HC training is offered without charge, there will be some cost to cover expenses of Facilitators’ travels, printed materials and food, etc. Attendees are requested to pay it forward or donate, between $50 and $100 per person for a 2-day training.